Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Karma be damned -- I'll be back under another identity."

Welcome to the online version of one of the very first "black and white" indie comics -- "Jerry the Vampire." His first appearance was in 1977 in the one-shot indie by Jane J. Oliver, "Baegle's Loony Hearts Band". After a 5 year hiatus, he returned again during the "black and white" indie years which also saw the rise of notable comics such as Groo the Barbarian, Cerebus, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Usagi Yojimbo. Jane produced 10 issues between 1982 and 1992.

She died of cancer on August 27, 1992.

A few weeks before her death, I went to see my friend, Jane. She transferred ownership of Jerry to me so that his story could continue.

Alas, Jane, it's been a long strange trip and I haven't done as much with him as I'd hoped to. But with my daughter's help, we're going to start bringing the comic back to a post-"Twilight" generation. I hope the translation from Hippie Speak of the 1960's to postmodern vampire won't be too painful.

Jerry is, frankly, a FUN character to play with. So what you'll see here over the next few years is stories and character sketches -- some of Jane's material and some of Amy's and some of mine. Don't worry. It won't be THAT confusing.

Maybe.

Jane's epitaph on her tombstone is "Karma be damned -- I'll be back under another identity."

Her beloved Jerry is back from the twilight now, under new management but with the same old saucy attitude.

-- Mel. White

No comments:

Post a Comment